Saturday, November 9, 2013

BBQ Cheddar Meatloaf: A Recipe Review of Iowa Girl Eats

Friday afternoon as I was sitting through my final class of the day, I suddenly had the urge to cook a nice feast. Being in college, I prefer to do quick and easy meals (and healthy usually). And I honestly don't spend a lot of time cooking. I'll have a smoothie here or there. Bake some chicken and add some teryaki to my stir fry and call it a healthy meal. But hardly ever do I cook real meals for myself. I love doing that at home in Indiana, but here in my apartment I'm not a huge fan of it. My roommates usually like to do that for me anyways (No lie, I really lucked out).

So I browsed through my FAVORITE cooking blog Iowa Girl Eats.

I stumbled on her recipe for  BBQ Cheddar Meatloaf, and the easiness of it sold me.


 Now of course I made a few modifications to the recipe that was personally fitting for me, and I will share it all below!


Ingredients: 
1 LG Sweet Onion
1lb Lean Ground Beef
2oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 Tablespoon Butter 
1 Egg, whisked
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons BBQ sauce, divided
1/4 cup Bread Crumbs
Pinch of Pepper
Pinch of Salt

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes or until no longer pink.
Preheat: 425F

Step 1.  Cut up Sweet Onion into thin slices. Melt butter in a frying pan, and add onion. Cook until 
              golden brown.
Step 2.  Toast two pieces of wheat bread. Break into small crumbs until completely fills a 1/4 cup.   
             Cut up 2 oz of cheese into small cubes. 
Step 3.  Preheat oven to 425F.
Step 4.  Whisk egg into a large bowl.
Step 5.  Add ground beef, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, cheese cubes, fried onions, 2 TBS of 
             BBQ Sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's), and a dash of pepper to the egg. Mix it all up.
Step 6. Once everything is combined, make the meat into a large block, and then cut up into 4 equal  
             parts.
Step 7. Line baking pan with aluminum foil. Add the meat.
Step 8. Bake the meatloaf for about 40 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle!






I had broccoli, mashed potatoes, and a roll on the side!





1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm...looks good!! I even think Chris might like to that recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete