Sunday, November 14, 2010

Kiddos

“And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me. But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea." Matthew 18:5-6

Almost every weekday i babysit for a family in Fishers from 3:45-6pm, and i love it. This is a drastic change to how i would've felt about watching a child in the previous few years. I always thought most children were cute, innocent things, i always had the desire to have my own someday, and i always fell in love with close friends' and family members' babies, but thinking of children in general used to... annoy me and sometimes disgust me. Hence, the reason i never went to Camp Allendale at my church unless i were to be directly asked to help.
Now, my perspective has completely changed, and looking back i know just when that transition started happening. In November 2009, one of my best friends' parents adopted 3 beautiful Colombian kids into their family. Watching the kids change, my best friend Eden change, and the family grow in a different way was very inspirational. Seeing those kids go from a hard life in Colombia.. to having full tummies and a loving family. To hear them singing in church and lifting their hands, and saying "Glory to God" over and over again to the tune of Steve Fee's song, really moved me.
I never wanted to adopt.. had no desire to welcome strangers into my home and family.. but now i hope God blesses me with such an opportunity.

Although the kids i babysit can get a little... crazy (sometimes) i still love them. This new job is a ministry, and i pray that God will use me to reach out to them. They need Jesus so much. There mom is very sweet, and she seems to be involved with a church a little bit, but i think it's very hard for her to go because she is a single mother and pharmacist who needs more time with the kids. Something i struggle with is not crossing the line between Babysitter and Mom. The minute i tell the boy to do something he doesn't like... he gets out his cellphone and calls his mom. With the girls, one will either cry or obey... and the other will pretend not to hear me and obey if i get to raising my voice. Sometimes, this job takes a lot of patience, but these precious kids mean well.
 I need a lot of prayer for reaching out to them. If anyone has any suggestions- please share!
Right now, we're working on actually doing homework and not eating snacks past 5... hoping to soon get some chores in there too. What i would really like is to talk to these kids about God in a way that keeps them interested and open. I want to reach out to them. Hopefully, i can get the mom to take them to Camp Allendale.. maybe i can be a counselor? We will see where the Lord leads. Right now, prayers are so much appreciated!
If any mother is reading this and needs a babysitter.. talk to me. I officially love babysitting. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment