Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Books, Books, Books.

There's something about reading that brings joy to my life. I remember learning how to read on my own when I was in 1st and 2nd grade and continually being frustrated. One time I even got grounded and then banned from watching the movie Home Alone because i yelled, "reading sucks!", at my mom- I mimicked some of Macaulay Culki's lines from that flick. However, since then i have come a long way. The Christian school i went to from 4th-7th grade had a program called AR where students were required to read several books by specified times and then do well on the computer tests over the books. The reward was either a field trip or party at the end of each quarter.

  In elementary school, Nancy Drew was my favorite series to read. I have collected 20+ of her books that i will once day pass down to my future daughter. I absolutely love Carolyn Keene's work and Nancy Drew really helped me learn to love to read.

Reading has helped me grow. There is so much wisdom that i have gained from reading. When i was 11 years old, i made the personal choice to start reading the Bible on my own, day-to-day. I remember starting right at Genesis, pushing forward to Numbers, and then deciding not to  read the books in order anymore- haha. 


At fourteen years old I needed to understand true femininity and longed for that Godly enlightenment. I bought the books, Every Young Woman's Battle (Ethridge & Arterburn) & And the Bride Wore White (Gresh). From then on i fell in love with purchasing books. Reading those two books and buying several other purity books after, has instilled important, biblical values in me that i will forever cherish.

Now, i take pride in my book collection. All i ask for my birthday is books, books, books. The majority of them are more "self-improvement" type of books or books about God. Besides my Nancy Drew collection, i only have 3 novels/stories. I have a difficult time reading one book at a time. I have to read at least one Christian "self-help" and one narrative. Currently, i'm reading 3 books and have started 6- i have a problem. Personally, i do not enjoy reading secular books. I want to get something out of what i instill in my brain; not waste my time.

*So tell me, readers (what few of you there are)- what are some of your favorite books, and why? 
Which do you most recommend? Share with me!

*images provided by We Heart It*

1 comment:

  1. I love reading books too...see my status from today! Right now reading "1,000 Gifts" by Ann Voscamp and "Rest of God" by Mark Buchanan. Learning to live Matthew 11:28. Also reading through the Bible chronologically in a year for the first time...great to see God's amazing love as a story over time!

    ReplyDelete