Saturday, July 20, 2013

On the Bright Side...

This morning started off with two cups (oops) of a chilled mock-Pumpkin Spice latte that my sister made. I usually don't drink coffee everyday... or hardly at all. However, any kind of mixed Starbucks drink is perfection.

 I don't know what it is about mornings that make them so refreshing. Perhaps it is the quiet, stillness of their nature that is so divine. A time of uninterrupted reflection.


 Lately my mind has been learning the importance of positive thinking. We're always told to keep positive; however, I don't think we're always told why we should.


I am a very opinionated person, and I usually let my mind roam free to all possibilities. Not only do I do this in order to think of multiple scenarios, but I do this to protect myself in regards to people and their motives. 


I have been convicted lately about this habit because it does not produce goodness. Philippians 4:8 has been on my mind this past week,. 





"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, 
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence,
 if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."

If you grew up in church, you have heard this verse many times. I feel like I've primarily heard this verse in reference to my choices of music and TV shows as my mother felt that she needed to stop me from (all) secular music and scary movies in my childhood. Hearing this verse always left a bad taste in my mouth because by nature I'm someone who doesn't think she should be told what to do and what to like. Because of my annoyed attitude, I never really got the full effect from this verse until the last couple of years.

Lysa TerKeurst mentioned this verse in a different way in her book "Unglued" as she applied it to the dangers of making assumptions. "Finally brothers, whatever is true......... think about these things."

I have found that the more you make assumptions about others, issues, and outcomes, the more you will believe that your assumptions are correct. Instead of breathing life and truth into others, you're breeding lies and pessimism. 

Instead, think about what is true. If you don't exactly know what is true, think about what you do know that is positive. Someone wronged you? Positive: we're all a work in progress. You missed out on something? Positive: Maybe you weren't meant to go. Someone got something that you wanted? Positive: Your time will come at just the right time. You thought something was supposed to go a certain way and then it fell a part? Positive: God will give you everything you need.

I never considered this before, but thinking negatively about others, issues, and outcomes is directly correlated to thinking negatively about God's abilities. Talk about killing your faith. 

I know that I can be so focused on my side of things that I don't even consider that any kind of thinking that isn't optimistic is undermining God. And to be honest, Satan knows that as he whispers the sweet lies in our heads. We may not know that we are doubting God when we are being pessimistic, but the reality is that negativity dumbs down our faith.

"Just think about a time when you were not really sure God would come through for you. 
You were not able to pray very powerful prayers, were you?" -Joyce Meyer

So readers, when negative thoughts start to enter your mind, shut them up! This is a lot harder to do than I make it sound. I have challenged myself to instantly think "God is good, so good will come out of this situation" when negativity tempts me. 

I have been reading "Gone with the Wind", and if you're familiar with this story you would remember the beginning when Scarlett is planning to try to get Ashley Wilkes to marry her when he is already engaged to Melanie Hamilton. As Scarlett thinks about the scary what-ifs, she says to herself, "I won't think of that now. If I think of it now, it will upset me" (Margaret Mitchell 76). Scarlett stops herself from the fearful thoughts, and in turn she keeps her confidence. Guard your mind or it will slow you down.

"Your faith is more precious than gold, and by passing the test, it
 gives praise, glory, and honor to God." 
1 Peter 1:7b




No comments:

Post a Comment