Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Gatsby: The Movie of the Year





Last Friday I was talked into seeing the Great Gatsby in 3-D. (no spoilers ahead)


"Talked into" because I wanted to read the book first! Though I wish that I would've read it a long time ago, boy am I glad I saw the movie regardless. I couldn't stop turning to my friend next to me and going, "oh my gosh- amazing". Whenever someone tells me that they have yet to see it, I truly want to grab them and alarmingly tell them to drop everything and see it right away. I then saw Gatsby again on Mother's Day. It was just as great the second time around! Goodness is this movie going to be remembered.









Fitzgerald is impressive. I can't wait to read his work. As far as the movie is concerned, the creativity that Baz Luhrmann poured into it definitely showed. Everything from the imagery, costumes, music, actors, settings, etc was spot on perfect. And oh, Leo, are you just as talented as ever. 

                                     



Some people were iffy about Jay-Z's music being integrated in this 1920s movie; but if you ask me, it was perfect for the party scenes. If you haven't noticed, Jay-Z's music has been featured in a lot of 20th century themed movies, including Gangster Squad and 42. It just works so well. 

There was something about the mix of roarin' twenties jazz and the blaring 2010's rap. Honestly, I just wanted to dance around and party after this movie (both times). My mom made a great point that the music of today being mixed with jazz gave a realistic indication of how people partied then and now. The music gave us a way to relate to the characters... and, our ancestors.  The soundtrack is so addictive! Definitely going to be my summer jam. 

Jay-Z's involvement is probably the only conflicting opinion I have heard in regards to this movie. I'm sure some of our elders would have appreciated less modern music and more of their favorite past times; but I think the music is a big reason why I loved the movie. 





And of course those beautiful flappers. The short hair-bob, head bands, jewels, and gowns. What an era. I guarantee you that no 20's party or flapper Halloween costume can ever add up. But I do hope one of my friends will make like Barney Stinson and say, "challenge accepted."

If you haven't seen The Great Gatsby... make some time. No moment in those 2 and a half hours are wasted or boring. However, if you just have terrible taste in movies, you can always look at Leonardo.


No comments:

Post a Comment