Monday, April 29, 2013

The "I Hate Vegetables" Pasta Salad

I always seem to look back on my past days and I realize that I haven't had vegetables in a while. Do you ever do that? And i'm not talking the vegetables that actually taste good. I'm meaning the extra-healthy kinds. When did I last eat a GREEN veggie? Who knows. How about fruits? This morning, no problem. Those actually taste good.







The Green Veggies are really good for us! We can't leave those out.

At lunchtime, I felt a need to change my anti- green vegetables habit, so I pulled some broccoli out of the freezer and fried it with some left over pork chop chunks. Is it just me, or does broccoli seem to be the healthiest for you? Then, I started craving Pasta Salad, so I boiled some whole wheat noodles and threw everything together in a bowl. I was going to add some Italian Dressing, but I figured it would be healthier to whip some together on my own! Below is what I came up with!








The I Hate Vegetables Pasta Salad:
main ingredients:
wheat noodles
[LOTS of] broccoli
[LOTS of] tomatoes
green peppers
[small portion] meat
liquids:
[drizzle] olive oil
[drizzle] red wine vinegar
 spices:
flax seeds
basil
oregano
onion powder
pepper
salad seasoning spice

*for a fun, southwest kick- add: corn, chicken, spinach leaves, avocado, and light salsa.
Substitute broccoli for extra dose of green peppers.

*for an extra pizza-loving pasta- add: pepperoni, extra dose of tomatoes, mushrooms, and olives.

I don't have any measurements for you because I just threw everything together, and it tasted great! I just love Italian foods, and this is a good healthy substitute that gets veggies in your system. Usually I would add cheese for flavor-- or maybe not.. my mind just likes to tell me that I always need cheese in everything. However, since all of the spices add flavor, cheese is unnecessary.

I recently developed lactose intolerance too, so I need to cut out my cheese and ice cream obsession..  *tear*. Since I am also trying to cut down on bread, I am basically cutting out sandwiches all together for now. This veggie-filled pasta salad will be great for lunches! It's a great way to get in your greens without really tasting them. Sorry I didn't get a picture of it! It tasted so good that I didn't even think about a picture. Do you hate vegetables and are ready to accept the fact that you gotta eat them anyway? Try out this Pasta Salad and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment